Megadeth has issued a statement regarding the graphic texts and video that have surfaced of bassist David Ellefson, as well as accusations of grooming.
The band’s joint statement reads as follows:
“We are aware of the recent statements regarding David Ellefson and are watching developments closely.
As it relates to creativity and business, we are all familiar with one another. However, there are clearly aspects of David’s private life that he has kept to himself.
As this situation unfolds, it is important that all voices be heard clearly and respectfully. We look forward to the truth coming to light.”
May 11, 2021
As previously reported, the graphic texts and video surfaced on Twitter this past weekend, which led to Ellefson being accused of grooming an allegedly underage girl. Ellefson issued his own statement and said in part, “As much as it’s not something I’m proud of, these were private, adult interactions that were taken out of context and manipulated to inflict maximum damage to my reputation, my career and family.”
The woman involved issued her own statement which she said in part “Yes, those video calls did happen, but I was the one to initiate them and never was I underage. I was always a consenting adult. Nothing inappropriate ever happened before that. It was all consensual, I’m not a victim and I have not been groomed in the slightest as I was the one to initiate it.”