Join WRAT in celebrating the valuable role educators play in our children’s lives.
We’re looking to recognize Teachers who STAND UP and STAND OUT and make an impact on the lives of their students.
What is the Teachers Who Rock Awards program?
The Teachers Who Rock program will recognize up to 24 outstanding teachers to receive this prestigious award for their important contribution to society. These teachers become lifetime members of the Teachers Who Rock Class.
In addition to recognizing outstanding teachers we also recognize one Educational Support Professional in our community. Educational Support Professionals or ESP’s take care of our children every day and make sure they have the tools and resources to succeed in our schools and classrooms. ESP’s include paraprofessionals, secretaries, bus drivers, food service workers, custodial/maintenance workers and security personnel.
Who is eligible?
Nominated teachers must be full-time classroom teachers at a public or non-public school in the Jersey Shore Area. For the 2022-2023 school year, teachers must spend the majority of their assignment time teaching students in grades Pre-K – 8, and 9-12.
How can a teacher be considered for a Teachers Who Rock award?
In order to be considered for a Teachers Who Rock Award, a teacher must first be nominated by a superintendent, principal, co-worker, or parent. A teacher may not nominate himself or herself. The nominating committee will not accept nominations from students. Nominations may be submitted on the WRAT website or via mail. The nomination period will be from January 9, 2023 through March 29, 2023.
What do the 2023 WINNERS receive?
Winners will be announced on air each Friday at or around 1:20pm on the Rockyn Robyn Midday Show, starting on January 13, 2023. They will be invited to an awards banquet and also receive a crystal apple award and gift bag.
Tell us about a “Teacher Who Rocks” by submitting a story below.
WJRZ and WRAT
Teachers Who Rock
These rules apply to Teachers Who Rock Contest (“Contest”) conducted by Beasley Media Group, LLC d/b/a WJRZ and WRAT (collectively the “Station”). In addition, the General Contest Rules posted at www.wjrz.com and www.wrat.com apply to this Contest. If there is a conflict between the General Contest Rules and the Rules for this Contest, the Rules for this Contest shall control.
- HOW TO ENTER
- The Contest will begin on January 9, 2023 and end on March 29, 2023.
- To enter online, visit wjrz.com or www.wrat.com and follow the links and instructions to enter the Contest and complete and submit the online entry form beginning on January 9, 2023 at 8:30 am Eastern Time (“ET”) and ending on March 29, 2023 at 5:00pm ET (“Online Entry Period”). The entry form must also include the first and last name of the teacher being nominated (the “Nominee”) and an original essay (“Essay”) of up to five hundred (500) words describing why the Nominee deserves to be honored into the Teachers Who Rock Class of 2023 through their extra-curricular activities, community service, mentoring and/or overcoming obstacles, and how they have made a difference in their community and inspired others. Nominees must live and teach in New Jersey. Anyone can submit a nomination (i.e. co-worker, supervisor, parent/guardian, coach, relative, neighbor and friend, etc.).
- Any Essay that exceeds five hundred (500) words will be edited by the Station to include only the first five hundred (500) words prior to judging. Each Essay must be the entrant’s original creative work and must not be protected by copyright; each nominator must have the right to submit it. Station, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to edit any Essay to preserve confidentiality and further reserves the right to disqualify any Essay if such is inappropriate or unsuitable for public display, broadcast, or posting on the Station’s website (i.e., must be radio clean). Essays that do not comply will not be eligible. Any winning Nominee’s name and Essay may be included on the Station’s website at wjrz.com and www.wrat.com.
- Entrants may submit multiple nominations but may nominate a Nominee a maximum of one (1) time. A Nominee may be nominated multiple times, but only if by different entrants. Nominees are eligible to win in the Contest only once.
- There will be up to a total of twenty-four (24) winning teachers selected in the Contest.
- ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS
- This Contest is open to all Station listeners who are 18 years of age or older as of the date of entry into the Contest, who are legal US residents and reside in New Jersey, except where prohibited by law. Winners must possess a valid, government-issued ID and show proof of residency to verify eligibility.
- Employees of the Station, its licensee, its parent corporation, their affiliated entities, affiliated advertising agencies, participating sponsors/promotional partners, other radio stations in the New Jersey area and the members of their immediate families are ineligible to participate or win. The term “immediate family member” includes spouses, siblings, parents and legal guardians, children and legal wards, grandparents, and grandchildren, including “in-laws.”
- A teacher may only win one (1) “Teachers Who Rock” or “Teachers Who Make Magic” contest conducted by Beasley Media Group, LLC stations and may not be a winner in multiple “Teachers Who Rock” or “Teachers Who Make Magic” contests.
- Up to twenty-five (25) prizes will be awarded. Each prize consists of crystal apple award, a fifty dollar ($50) restaurant gift card (location TBD) and dinner at the Teachers Who Rock Class of 2023 Banquet at the Spring Lake Manor (date TBA). Approximate Retail Value of each prize $150.The winner will be solely responsible for all taxes and all other fees and expenses not specified herein associated with the receipt and use of the prize(s). The prize(s) is awarded as is. The gift card will be subject to the terms and conditions as set forth by the issuer of the gift card. Gift cards are not refundable or transferable and may not be substituted or exchanged for cash or credit at any time, nor will gift cards be replaced if lost or stolen.
- Prizes will be awarded at the Teachers Who Rock 2023 Banquet. Failure to confirm these details within thirty (30) days of being contacted will result in forfeiture of the prize.
- SELECTION OF WINNERS
- Every Wednesday beginning on January 11, 2023 and ending on March 29, 2023, up to two (2) winning Nominees (except March 29, 2023, up to three (3) winning Nominees) will be selected via a judging process from all eligible Essay entries received up to the time of the selection based on the following criteria: the compelling nature of the Essay and reasons for how the Nominee has impacted others. Judges will be comprised of Station staff. Potential winning Nominees will be contacted by telephone and/or email promptly following winner selection.
Non-winning Nominees will automatically rollover and be eligible to win in subsequent judging periods of the Contest.
- Entrants and Nominees need not listen to the Station or be present to enter or win.
- Station also reserves the right to modify this Contest in the event an insufficient number of entries are received, and/or an insufficient number of entries meet the minimum judging criteria.
- Decisions of Station management with respect to the Contest are final.
- The Station reserves the right to end any contest or amend these rules upon announcement on air and by publication at wjrz.com and www.wrat.com.
- Copies of the written Contest rules and a list of all winners are available during regular business hours at the main studio of the Station, 1731 Main Street, Belmar NJ 07719 (WRAT) or 1001 Beach Ave, Manahawkin, NJ 08050 (WJRZ) or by sending a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Station.