The “Fuel Your Way” coalition of station owners…
New Jersey gas stations are doing a gas price drop today in an effort to get the public’s support for allowing self service gas, otherwise known as “pump your own”.
Why does this group want you to be able to pump your own gas? They say that gas prices will drop if consumers will be able to pump their own, because they won’t have to pay a person to mind the pump.
Could that be true? Sure, it could be…
Critics are skeptical and point to states like Oregon who passed a law allowing self serve and station owners didn’t drop the price a cent. Then there’s the insurance costs for station owners, which will likely go up because – lets face it – some people aren’t smart enough to remember to take the fuel spigot out of their car before driving away… Gas prices are largely affected by global supply and demand issues – not paying minimum wage for a gas jockey.
But saving money (like winning money) is always a good thing, so maybe it’s possible.
No matter what you think of the “pump your own” idea… here’s a handful of stations participating in the gas price drop Monmouth and Ocean County.
- Aberdeen Exxon, 1164 Route 34, Aberdeen
- BP, 44 South St., Freehold
- Hazlet Shell, 1355 Route 36, Hazlet
- Matawan Sunoco, 323 Route 34, Matawan
- Middletown BP, 863 Highway 35, Middletown
- Monmouth Road BP, 373 Monmouth Road, West Long Branch
- Exxon, 600 Brick Blvd., Brick
- Exxon, 181 Drum Point Road, Brick
- Exxon, 1444 Highway 88, Lakewood
- Kelly’s Sea Bay Sunoco, Route 35 North, Lavallette
- Shell, 1350 Route 9 South, Toms River
- Exxon, 13 Route 37 East, Toms River