Zack Snyder has his work cut out for him.
The logo for the new Justice League film has been released, along with notations of what the plot line is going to be like. Which truth be told, after reading Vulture's Synopsis of when Zack Snyder faced a room of the critics that brought down Batman V. Superman: Dawn Of Justice, it sounds a bit chaotic. Here's what we've learned.
JUSTICE LEAGUE LOGO REVEALED! #justiceleague #leagueofjustice #dc #batman #superman #wonderman #aquaman #theflash #mera #flashpoint #barryallen #brucewayne #clarkkent #manofsteel #henrycavill #cyborg #benaffleck #galgadot #erzamiller
See this Instagram photo by @bestdcmarvel * 1 like
- Batflick (Batman, Ben Affleck) will be doing "less cold-blooded murdering of criminals and more canon-honoring detective work."
- The Flash (Erza Miller) and Cyborg (Victor Stone) will be spliced into the mix. Aquaman will be played by Jason Momoa. And of course, Gal Gadot will be resuming Wonder Woman.
- We don't know who villain Steppenwolf will be played by as of yet. Let's hope though that there's a "Born To Be Wild" joke/easter egg in there somewhere.
- Side-pieces as co-stars will feature Queen Mera of the Ocean (Amber Heard [For those of you unaware, that's Johnny Depp's soon-to-be-ex-wife]) and Chief Adviser Vulko (Willem Dafoe, mostly known for Boondock Saints as Agent Paul Smecker and the Green Goblin in Spider-Man [The Tobey Maguire version from 2000]). Amy Adams will return as Lois Lane, Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor Jr. [DON'T DROP THE JUNIOR, IT'S IMPORTANT, PEOPLE], and Robin Wright (Claire Underwood, House of Cards) will make a cameo as a member of Wonder Woman's Squad. Also, joining the ranks, J.K. Simmons, (also from the Spider-Man Franchise as J. Jonah Jameson) as Commissioner Jim Gordon (formerly played by Gary Oldman in the Christopher Nolan versions. You've got some big shoes to fill, Mr. Farmer's Insurance Man!).
- Comic Book Resources shares the basic plot line as follows: "Fueled by his restored faith in humanity and inspired by Superman’s selfless act, Bruce Wayne enlists the help of his newfound ally, Diana Prince, to face an even greater enemy. Together, Batman and Wonder Woman work quickly to find and recruit a team of metahumans to stand against this newly awakened threat. But despite the formation of this unprecedented league of heroes—Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash—it may already be too late to save the planet from an assault of catastrophic proportions."
- Deborah Snyder shares with Vulture how Batman's Character has changed since Superman's Death: “Superman’s death helps Batman regain his faith in humanity,” said Deborah Snyder. “Here’s this alien who just gave his life for us. It really changes who Batman is, and he also feels a responsibility to honor him, because he didn’t feel like he did it while they were living.” Affleck concurred: “He’s feeling like he wants to redeem himself and he’s wanting mankind to be redeemed. He’s wanting to make the world better.”
- Batman is going to have to be a team player, which Ben Affleck knows is going to be a challenge. He shared with Vulture his thoughts: “On the one hand, he’s the ultimate loner, and on the other hand, he’s tasked with putting together a group. Is the guy who basically broods in a cave all day really the best person to put together a team of superheroes? He doesn’t have huge success initially. He’s got to figure out how to play well with others, and he barely knows how to play well with Alfred.”
So, with all of that in mind, somehow we don't know if 2017 is going to be enough time to work those kinks out, but either way, the Snyder's are confident that now that the heroes won't be dissected and will have more of a traditional sense, that the critics won't slay Justice League nearly as much as they skewered Batman V. Superman.
Poor Ben Affleck... Okay okay here's the link to the original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwXfv25xJUw
Amy Cooper is a writer and pop culture fact nerd, and on multiple occasions has been referred to as a “Walking iPod.”